3 days RAF/HMP-E
- Engineers, supervisors and staff interested or involved in the operation of a SMR unit.
- To deepen understanding of the operating and monitoring of steam reformers.
- To analyze the impact of operating parameters on the SMR unit efficiency through an analysis of the catalyst's performance.
- To learn about the effect of various control parameters.
- To operate a steam reformer with proper safety measures.
Ways and means
- Presentations by experts from the industry.
- Experience sharing.
- Applications, case studies based on typical industrial situations.
Purpose of steam reforming 0.25 day
- Hydrogen in the oil industry: resources and consumption.
- Main hydrogen manufacturing processes.
- Objective of the successive steps: desulfurization, steam reforming, CO shift, hydrogen purification.
Analysis of smr operating conditions 1.5 days
- Process flow scheme.
- Material balance, conversion, yields at various steps.
- Feedstock and product quality: natural gas, demineralized water, hydrogen quality.
- Operating conditions and control loops.
- Characteristics of the chemical reactions involved: thermodynamic and kinetic aspects, their consequences on the operation, side reactions and optimum operating conditions to limit their evolution.
- Role and mechanism of a catalyst: chemical and physical characteristics, effect of poisoning and ageing.
- Influence of operating conditions on hydrogen production and on downstream steps.
- Hydrogen purification
- Adsorption (PSA) and methanation: comparison of performances.
- Influence of operating parameters on hydrogen purity, CO2 absorption and amine regeneration.
- PSA unit characteristics and operation.
Steam reformer furnace operation 0.5 day
- Different types of furnaces: technology, furnace efficiency, operating parameters, control and safety loops.
- Catalyst loading procedure.
- Behavior of the tube bundle. Mechanical and thermal stress.
- Routine operation and main operating constraints.
Steam production 0.25 day
- Water preparation: drawbacks arising from impurities in water, water quality measurement, characteristics of feed water, thermal degassing, chemical conditioning of water.
Operation and start-up 0.25 day
- Key operating parameters and overall process optimization, interactions between process steps, catalyst cycles management.
- Principles of start-up procedure: preparation, ignition, temperature build-up, feed in.
Disturbances and troubleshooting 0.25 day
- Disturbances: modification of the steam/HC ratio, decrease of feed flowrate, change in feed composition.
- Incidents: pretreatment reactor runaway, tube rupture in the furnace, absorption section bypassing.