5 days MOT/GMPHS-E
- Engineers and technical staff wishing to increase their knowledge of electric hybrid automotive powertrains.
- This course provides a deeper knowledge on modeling and simulation of hybrid vehicles and powertrain. Reinforce knowledge by experimenting measurements and analyses on a Toyota Prius.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- understand the general situation of current hybridization, the different hybridization forms of road vehicles,
- know the different types of batteries and electric motors adapted to hybrid vehicles,
- know the issues of on-board hydrogen,
- simulate a hybrid drive chain operation,
- identify the main components of the drive chain,
- describe how they work and to describe the operating modes of a hybrid vehicle.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- One of our best-sellers. Mainly interactive, supported by examples and real components, this training course covers all main technical fields of hybrid powertrains.
- Orders of magnitude are clearly given.
- Design of hybrid vehicle model and simulator on Matlab-Simulink.
- This Matlab-Simulink simulator is operational and functional. It can be used as a basis for further studies that students can achieve in their professional job.
- Measurements and analyses of a Toyota Prius 2. Participants can compare measurements on the model and numerical simulation.
- Architecture study with active learning: participants simulate architectural choices’ impact on a AMESIM simulator.
Electric hybrid powertrains 1 day
- Two categories of hybrid architectures: serial, parallel. Parallel architectures. Single shaft, reversible starter generator in the accessories drive, full hybrid. Dual shafts, hybrid wheels, power shunt, n mode power shunt. Consumption improvement functions.
- Overview, technico-economic balance and conclusions.
- Electric vehicles.
On-board energy storage systems 0.5 day
- Electrochemical battery: operating principle, characteristics and performances of the different technologies (lead-acid, cadmium-nickel, hydrogen-nickel, lithium-ion, lithium-polymer).
- Ultra capacitor: principles, performances.
Power electronics 0.5 day
- Power components. Power electronics structures. Power characteristics, installation restrictions, thermal and vibratory aspects. Electromagnetic compatibility.
Electric motor 0.5 day
- Electric motor different technologies: operating principles, characteristics, performances, evolution.
- Installation restrictions: compactness, cooling.
System operation - Management principles 0.5 day
- How to manage electric motors and converters? Which physical principles for which result?
- Main functions, secondary functions.
Hybrid propellers & energy management 0.5 day
- Energy flux and energy supervision. Meaning for serial, parallel and serial/parallel hybrids.
- Objectives and restrictions: consumption, pollution, state of charge management, regenerative braking, stop/start functions, thermal engine boost, drive approval.
- Techniques: empirical controls, application to a series vehicle, improvements offered to empirical controllers, optimum controllers.
- Synthesis and controllers validation: use of system models, off-line optimization methods and adaptation and optimization online.
Thermal management 0.5 day
- Thermal management of electrical main components.
Vehicle installation 0.25 day
- Manufacturing process of a complete system: storage system and drive chain dimensioning.
- Installation restrictions, passenger compartment cooling.
Identification of powertrain components 0.25 day
- Directly on the vehicle mock-up. Description of the vehicle.
- Thermal engine. Electromotors MG1 et MG2.
- ECU. AC/DC and DC/DC converters.
- Understanding of the vehicle architecture and drive train.
Operating modes demonstration 0.25 day
- Stabilized drive. Electric drive. Soft acceleration.
- Deceleration. Braking. Other functionalities: climatization, power assisted steering, … Other modes.
View of energy flows 0.25 day
- Measuring the main electric characteristics in the main branches. View of energy flows. Simulation of various use situation.
Computerized simulation 0.25 day
- Several operating points. Energy optimization.
- Various management strategies and compared CO2 efficiency.
- With AMESIM software and data input measured on the mock-up.
- Various operating points. Energy optimization.