4 days MOT/HYAERO-E
- Engineers, managers and technicians wishing to improve their knowledge of aerospace alternatives in electrical and hybrid propulsion systems and aeronautical combustion engines electrification.
- To inform participants about new ways (based on electrification) towards which the world aviation is moving to for propulsion or auxiliary power generation.
- This course is designed for newcomers and staff working in the field of aeronautics in order to acquire a technical culture that promotes the understanding of this new discipline emerging in aeronautics. This course also covers the electrification of aircraft combustion engines to replace traditional pneumatic or hydraulic actuators.
- To know the needs and constraints of aircraft engines based on their utilization.
- To know the general context of current hybridization and the different forms of hybridization.
- To understand the basic principles and specifications of hybrid and electrical propulsion systems developed for the aerospace industry.
- To know the main stages of life of electrical or hybrid propulsion engines.
- To know the main stages of life of hybrid auxiliary power supplies.
- To know the operating principles and limits of electrical and hybrid engines, batteries and power electronics.
- To understand the specific aeronautical elements constituting the hybrid and electric systems.
- To understand and know the certification requirements of these new technologies.
- The “Introduction to aeronautics and astronautics” training course is recommended for people new to the world of aeronautics or beginners in this area to improve their understanding of the aircraft propulsion and auxiliary systems operations and their utilization profiles.
Ways and means
- Mainly interactive, supported by real examples, it addresses the main technical areas of electrical and hybrid aircraft engines.
Introduction to aeronautics 1 day
- Aeronautical technology reminders. Positioning technique: type of use, conditions of use, power range, aircraft associated; products, strategies and markets. Issues and context.
- Technology: two classes of hybrid architectures (serial, parallel); power branching systems, electrical lead.
- Earnings function of consumption, energy recovery, energy optimization, comparing benefits, pollution.
- New bodies: the engine, electric motor, inverter, converter, booster, battery.
- Panorama, techno-economic assessment and conclusions.
- Mission profiles: mission profiles of electric and hybrid engines by kind of aircraft and aircraft operations; stages of life; operating points.
- Definition of power requirement. Stabilized and transient operation related to flight mechanics. Influence of the environment: altitude, pressure, temperature, speed, ice, resistance to damage (lightning, obstacles etc.). Specifications for auxiliary power generation unit (APU).
- Electrification engines: using electric actuators instead of hydraulic and pneumatic traditional aeronautical combustion engines.
- Design and production: regulation and certification.
On board energy storage systems 0.5 day
- Electrochemical battery: principle of operation, characteristics and performance of different technologies (nickel-cadmium, nickel hydrogen, lithium ion, lithium polymer, ...).
- Supercapacitors: principle and performance. Integration into an aircraft.
- Fuel cells.
Power electronics 0.5 day
- Power components: MOSFET, IGBT, SiC, NGa ...
- Electronic structures of power: DC-DC converters, DC-AC ...
- Power characteristics, layout constraints, thermal and vibration aspects.
- Electromagnetic compatibility.
- Circuits involved in the making of aircraft: electrical, hydraulic, air conditioning, oxygen, icing and fuel, as well as the main organs that compose them.
Electric motors 0.5 day
- Different technologies of electric motors: principle of operation, characteristics, performance, evolution.
- Layout constraints: compact cooling; examples of applications on aircraft.
Electric and hybrid engine management 0.25 day
- How to order electric motors, various converters? Which physical principles? For what?
- Main functions related functions.
Hybrid control of rocket and energy management 0.5 day
- Energy flow and energy supervision.
- Objectives and constraints: consumption, energy balance, energy recovery, boost function, validation.
- Techniques: empirical tests, aircraft application case, proposed improvements to empirical controllers, optimal controllers.
- Synthesis and validation of controllers: system usage models, optimization methods.
Thermal management 0.25 day
- Thermal management of electrical components: battery, electrical machines, power electronics.
Electric and auxiliary power production 0.25 day
- Definition of the APU. Functions and uses of APU. The main AC and DC networks. Power generation. Power electronics. Electrical network architecture.
- Consumer power: electric actuators, other consumers defrost, light.
- Focus. Preparing for powering an aircraft. Preparation of the first flight.
- The quality of the embedded network. Harmonics, power factor The outlook for the electrical system. Problem of carbon fuselages.
Aircraft engines electrification 0.25 day
- Electrical actuator: context, issues, technologies, application examples.