5 days EMT/HEDES
- Engineers and staff from the technical and process departments of refining, petrochemical and chemical companies.
- To deepen understanding of heat exchangers technology and provide an introduction to thermal and mechanical calculation methods used for design and performance follow-up.
- To grasp the essence of heat transfer laws.
- To use technical selection criteria for shell and tube heat exchangers.
- To identify thermal, hydraulic and mechanical design rules, along with main constraints.
Ways and means
- A case study is organized throughout the training program to select, design and check performances of a single phase shell and tube heat exchanger without phase change from the process data sheet to the TEMA specification data sheet.
- Study of reboilers, condensers and air-cooled heat exchangers.
- Special emphasis on interaction between mechanical aspects and process requirements in the thermal and hydraulic design of heat exchangers.
- The course is delivered by IFP Training and Heat Transfer Research, Inc. (HTRI©) Experts.
Heat transfer law applied to heat exchangers 1 day
- Heat exchange conditions: convection coefficients, resistance caused by the walls and by fouling.
- Overall heat transfer coefficient.
- Mean heat potential in a heat exchanger as a function of fluid distribution, specific case of phase change.
- Transferred heat flow rate across an installed surface. Influence of installed area and fouling.
- Evaluation of exchange area requirements as a function of fluid flow distribution.
- Thermal performance follow-up and prediction.
- Optimum cleaning interval estimate.
Tema standard tubular heat exchangers - Technology and selection criteria 1 day
- TEMA standard heat exchangers: nomenclature, different types of shell, floating heads and fixed front head. Selection criteria, advantages and drawbacks of the different types.
- Geometrical characteristics of TEMA heat exchangers and technological constraints.
- Other types of heat exchanger: tubular or plate type, air coolers and condensers. Main types, advantages and limitations.
- Application: selection of a TEMA type and fluid flow allocation according to a process data sheet.
Thermal and hydraulic design - Performance follow-up 3 days
- Heat exchanger design procedure: fluid flow allocation, TEMA type selection, heat exchange area estimate, area organization (tubes diameter and length, tube pattern and pitch), baffle (type, spacing and cut), shell side stream analysis, performance and geometrical hypothesis checking, acceptance criteria, reconsideration of initial design (number of shell in series or in parallel, number of tube passes, …).
- Specific case of air coolers: particularities of the design procedure, heat transfer and pressure drop on air side.
- Condensation or vaporization performance: two phase flow (patterns and pressure drop), condensation modes, film condensation characteristics, influence of the nature of the vapor to be condensed (pure substance, mixtures, existence of non-condensables), boiling mechanisms, film boiling and convective boiling coefficient.
- Vibrations induced by flow in a shell: prediction, severity criteria, influence on design, boiling mechanisms, convection coefficients inside and outside horizontal and vertical tubes. Hydrodynamics of thermosiphon reboilers.
- Air cooled heat exchangers: different types, design, thermal and hydraulic performance calculation on air side.
- Plate type heat exchangers: main design rules and arrangement possibilities (parallel, series, …).
- Application: thermal and hydraulic design of a single phase heat exchanger.
2016 course calendar
|May 30 - Jun 03||Rueil||€2,500||Online||By email|