5 days EMT/HEDES
- Engineers and staff from the technical and process departments of refining, petrochemical and chemical companies.
- This course provides detailed understanding of heat exchangers technology. It covers also thermal and mechanical calculation methods used to design exchangers and their performance monitoring.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- list advantages and drawbacks of TEMA Types and associate the most appropriate type with operating conditions and fluids properties,
- describe the heat exchange laws and identify key parameters impacting the exchange coefficients and pressure drops,
- define the required data used in HX design software and analyze the output file,
- elaborate, from a process data sheet, a TEMA specification data sheet used for HX construction.
- This course is a part of a professional framework of an expert in Exchangers. A basic technical knowledge is then requested.
Ways and means
- A case study is organized throughout the training program to select, design and check performances of a single phase shell and tube heat exchanger, from the process data sheet to the TEMA specification data sheet.
- Study of reboilers, condensers and air-cooled heat exchangers.
- Special emphasis on interaction between mechanical aspects and process requirements in the thermal and hydraulic design of heat exchangers.
- The course is delivered by IFP Training and Heat Transfer Research, Inc. (HTRI©) Experts.
HEAT TRANSFER LAW APPLIED TO HEAT EXCHANGERS 1 day
- Heat exchange conditions: convection coefficients, resistance caused by the walls and by fouling.
- Overall heat transfer coefficient. Mean heat potential in a heat exchanger as a function of fluid distribution, specific case of phase change. Transferred heat flow rate across an installed surface. Influence of installed area and fouling.
- Evaluation of exchange area requirements as a function of fluid flow distribution.
- Thermal performance follow-up and prediction.
- Optimum cleaning interval estimate.
TEMA STANDARD TUBULAR HEAT EXCHANGERS - TECHNOLOGY & SELECTION CRITERIA 1 day
- TEMA standard heat exchangers: nomenclature, different types of shell, floating heads and fixed front head. Selection criteria, advantages and drawbacks of the different types.
- Geometrical characteristics of TEMA heat exchangers and technological constraints.
- Other types of heat exchanger: tubular or plate type, air coolers and condensers. Main types, advantages and limitations.
- Application: selection of a TEMA type and fluid flow allocation according to a process data sheet.
THERMAL & HYDRAULIC DESIGN - PERFORMANCE FOLLOW-UP 3 days
- Heat exchanger design procedure: fluid flow allocation, TEMA type selection, heat exchange area estimate, area organization (tubes diameter and length, tube pattern and pitch), baffle (type, spacing and cut), shell side stream analysis, performance and geometrical hypothesis checking, acceptance criteria, reconsideration of initial design (number of shell in series or in parallel, number of tube passes, …).
- Vibrations induced by flow in a shell: prediction, severity criteria, influence on design.
- Specific case of air coolers: particularities of the design procedure, heat transfer and pressure drop on air side.
- Condensation or vaporization performance: two phase flow (patterns and pressure drop), condensation modes, film condensation, characteristics, boiling mechanisms, film boiling and convective boiling coefficient.
- Hydrodynamics of thermosiphon reboilers.
- Plate type heat exchangers: main design rules and arrangement possibilities (parallel, series …).
- Thermal and hydraulic design of a single phase heat exchanger.
- Initial design of condenser and reboiler.