3 days FOR/GEOME
- Engineers and supervisors involved in drilling and completion operations.
- This course provides an understanding of geomechanics solutions for mitigating and solving drilling problems.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- acquire the basic knowledge on geomechanics applied to drilling and completion operations,
- grasp through case studies some important drilling and wellbore issues with regard to geomechanics.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Training includes application exercises designed for drilling.
SCOPE OF ROCK MECHANICS 0.25 day
- What is geomechanics? Why geomechanics?
- Geomechanics applications - Geomechanics limitation.
INTRODUCTION TO ROCK MECHANICS 0.75 day
- Stress - Strains.
- Rock failure criteria - Mohr circle application.
- Effect of pore pressure and temperature on rock failure application.
STRESS DISTRIBUTION AROUND THE WELLBORE: CASE OF COMPACT ROCKS 1 day
- Stress expression: case on an isotropic and anisotropic stress fields.
- Effect of pressure in the well and the temperature on the stresses.
- Different modes of failure.
- Stability diagram.
PORE & FRACTURATION DETERMINATION 0.5 day
- Underground stresses - Geostatic pressure.
- Pore pressure estimation: ratio, equivalent depth, Eaton method.
- Fracturation pressure estimation: calculation, LOT.
APPLICATION 0.5 day
- Anisotropy effect on wellbore.
- Effect of mud weight, bore hole temperature, wellbore trajectory.