10 days GEO/PROSPECT
- Geologists, geophysicists, reservoir engineers.
- This course provides the knowledge and skills required to assess and move forward with field studies; from discovery through appraisal, and on to development - always looking for the best scenario.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- acquire state-of-the-art exploration methodology and workflow for prospect definition and evaluate related probability of success,
- identify the link between exploration workflow (leading to the discovery well) and field development stages, while evaluating field potential (at each step of the process),
- acquire practical knowledge of both appraisal and development workflows using a real case study.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Exercises and case studies on real examples.
- Group workshop on development case histories.
Week 1: Basin analysis & prospect generationFrom play to lead 5 days
- The participants carry out a mini-project on a real case study:
- Short basin analysis using a seismic line and well-log data.
- Potential “play” identification in the basin.
- Prospect analysis and ranking.
Introduction to petroleum system & basin analysis
- Basin potential assessment.
- Regional context - Petroleum trilogy.
- Play definition.
- Geological risk (reservoir, trap, HC conservation) Fluid content risk (Source rock, maturation, migration, timings).
- Probability of success - Consequences for economics.
Basin assessment & prospect definition
- Basin potential assessment
- The petroleum trilogy.
- Migration versus entrapment timing
- Seismic interpretation.
- Well data interpretation.
- Cross correlation & integration with seismic data.
- Prospect definition
- OHIP calculation.
Week 2: Oil field developmentFrom discovery to production start 5 days
Introduction to E&P workflow
- General presentation of the different steps of an oil field development project.
- Reminder of concepts, tools, methods, necessary data to work with and how to reduce inherent subsurface uncertainties.
- Illustration through a case history (onshore field, light oil).
- Geological and tectonic context of the field.
- Seismic interpretation issues.
- Evaluation of a discovery well. Related uncertainties.
- Proposals for location and program of the first appraisal well.
- Evolution of subsurface uncertainties (structural maps, OHIP estimations, etc.) with new data from appraisal wells.
- Updating of the issues after each appraisal well.
- Definition of data acquisition programs for each well.
- Date synthesis at the end of the appraisal phase and OHIP estimations.
- Estimations of reserves, production profiles through simplified methods and a full field simulation.
- Estimations of CAPEX, OPEX, technical costs of different development scenarios.
- Comparison of production forecasts with actual field production history.