60 days OPE/BO-E
- Newly recruited operators in the refining, petrochemical and chemical industries.
- This course provides the knowledge and know-how for the specific field operator position.
- Successful participants will be granted the “Field Operator” Vocational Certificate.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- monitor the facilities in an autonomous way, in compliance with Safety and Environmental rules,
- safely perform all routine operations related to operator duties, as well as the key non-routine ones,
- identify equipment deficiencies, explain their root causes, and take appropriate action,
- communicate effectively with their colleagues.
- Having already been pre-recruited by an Oil & Gas company.
- Although not mandatory, a technical education is desirable.
Ways and means
- The training program is structured by alternating:
- Classroom training (2-week sessions) including theoretical and practical courses.
- On-The-Job training (typically 1-month sessions) 100% on-site, in their facilities, with instructors’ help.
- Even during classroom training, lots of practical exercises and applications.
- Instructors having extensive Oil & Gas downstream experience, helped by company mentors.
- Continuous assessment completed by a final exam in front of a jury.
Including classroom training, On-The-Job training and job practice under control, the typical duration of the program is 1 year. Esta formación se puede proponer en español.Detailed content may be sent on request.
CLASSROOM TRAINING (theoretical & practical) 55 days
- Professional basic training (10 days)
- Physical parameters; liquid vapor equilibria notions; fluid flow; heat transmission.
- Chemistry: basic notions, industrial chemical reactions.
- Products and processes (10 days)
- Quality tests, specifications; sampling safety procedures; refining processes; safety aspects.
- Storage tanks, reception and expedition facilities; utilities; environmental protection; energy.
- Equipment operation and safety (35 days)
- Pressure vessels (columns, drums, reactors) description and operation.
- Rotating equipment (centrifugal and positive displacement pumps, compressors, steam turbines, electric motors).
- Thermal equipment (heat exchangers, furnaces, boilers).
- Instruments (sensors/actuators), process control.
- Safety in plant operation.
- Presentation, initial recommendations and safety instructions
- General technical information: presentation of the refinery, main feeds and products.
- Safety: safety rules, specific instructions, control and protection, prevention, fire extinction exercises.
- Injury and life protection: preparation of rescuer degree.
- General training on the job
- On different production units: equipment identification; operation follow-up.
- Identification of operator tasks, responsibilities of each member on the shift team.
- Specific job position study
- Process, feeds and product characteristics, circuits.
- Equipment field control; safety; operational instructions, procedures.
- Controlled practice in job position
- Achievement of the various tasks involved in the job, under control of the assigned people on the shift team.
KNOWLEDGE ASSESSMENT 5 days
- Continuous assessment during training modules. Final written exam at the end of the theoretical training.
- Rating of practical exercises and on-the-job trainings, based on presentations and written reports.
- Personal job-based final report, describing assigned unit and operator day-to-day activities, rated.
- Final examination to confirm proficiency (knowledge of circuits, equipment and processes, job practice).