3 days PCH/EXTRU-E
- Operating staff in charge of driving extruders and ancillary equipment.
- Technicians involved in the operation or maintenance of this type of installation.
- To provide the know-how for an autonomous job position in the operation and maintenance of extruders and pelletizers.
- To learn about the phenomena behind an extruder.
- To analyze settings, security and automation.
- To interpret drifts and incidents in order to react efficiently.
Ways and means
- Content may be customized for a particular type of machine or for products if information is provided at least one month in advance.
- Otherwise, standard products are covered: PolyEthylene, PolyPropylene.
- Case studies based on industrial situations.
Extrusion of thermoplastic, process description 0.25 day
- Aim of the extrusion, general layout description and the various steps of the polymer treatment.
- Operating principle and different cross section areas: feeding system, filling, melting, degassing, compression, transport, granulation.
- Different types of screws, advantages and disadvantages.
- Different types of extruders: single screw, conter-rotating or corotative twin screw, BUSS type mixers, advantages and disadvantages.
Technology and operation of extruders 1.5 days
- Drivetrain: the drivers and launch, variable speed drives, gearboxes, sustained efforts, safety and overload structure of abutments, the extruder auxiliary.
- Extruder: power, force feeder, preventing jams; different section of screw and barrel, adjusting the temperature; starting diverter valve and start-up operation; fouling filters monitoring and filter changing device, the die plate: technology, pressure monitoring, calculating the percentage of blocked holes the die plate heating system. The pelletizer, speed, water flow, knife adjustment, monitoring of pellets size.
- Principle of heat exchange in the die plate and temperature control.
Automation and safety 0.25 day
- Review of the machine logic (flow charts, logic diagrams).
Product quality 0.25 day
- Different grades manufactured; specifications in relation to the applications.
- Laboratory tests: equipment procedures, visualization of various types of defects.
Influence of operating parameters 0.75 day
- Fluidity, viscosity dynamic viscosity, definition, effect of shear rate, kinematic viscosity, melt index (MI).
- Consequences: monitoring the temperature as a function of grade and load.
- Required power: the influence of the load, the MI and temperature recommendations.
- Application: study of possible causes of troubles, solutions, points to be checked.