3 days PSE/DISTEXT-E
- Anyone involved in the operation of extractive distillation columns (engineers, shift leaders, panel operators, field operators).
- This course provides a deeper technical understanding of an extractive distillation column and its principle.
- Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- know about the action of the solvent,
- explain the significance of operating parameters,
- analyze the effect of each parameter acting on the operation of the column and on the qualities of products,
- counteract the most frequent incidents.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Implementation of static simulation results with C4/ACN and C6/NMP treatment.
- Working groups to study operating situations that could arise.
SOLVENT EFFECT ON LIQUID-VAPOR EQUILIBRIA 0.75 day
- Typical composition of cuts to be treated: C4 and C6 cuts of a steamcracker or other units.
- Natural volatility of compounds and focus on impurities to be removed, highlighting constraints and treatments available.
- Action of the solvent and effects on relative volatilities of compounds for separation.
- Effects of pressure, solvent ratio and feed composition.
BEHAVIOR OF AN EXTRACTIVE DISTILLATION COLUMN 0.75 day
- Feed composition. Qualities required.
- Mass balance, product recovery ratio, losses of solvent.
- Analysis of operating parameters: pressure and its control system, solvent ratio, solvent temperature, thermal balance and liquid-vapor traffics.
- Concentration profile: HC and solvent, behaviors in extractive and non-extractive zones.
- Meaning of temperatures and of its profile.
DOWNSTREAM TREATMENT 0.5 day
- Solvent recovery system and purification.
- Make-up of solvent and adjustment of its composition in the solvent loop.
- Superfractionation if needed.
OPERATING VARIABLES OF AN EXTRACTIVE DISTILLATION COLUMN 0.5 day
- Instrumentation and process control scheme.
- Meaning of tuned parameters.
- Modification impact of: solvent ratio, reboiler ratio, solvent temperature and other parameters depending on the process configuration.
UPSETS & INCIDENTS 0.5 day
- Solvent: decrease in flowrate, temperature modification, regeneration trouble and loss of recycling.
- Feed: unexpected change in flowrate or composition.