4 days MTE/ETHCO-E
- Engineers and technical staff (operation, maintenance and/or engineering) interested or involved in ethylene compression.
- This course provides a comprehensive understanding of ethylene compression related to compressors technology, operation and efficiency.
- Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- master the technology and operation of ethylene compressors,
- understand the basic design in relation to ethylene compression operating conditions,
- monitor and optimize the performance of compressors,
- identify most common failure modes and corrective measures.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Study of actual cases based on industrial situations.
- Various illustrations of actual systems.
- Display of components of compressors.
ETHYLENE BEHAVIOR DURING COMPRESSION 1 day
- Ideal gas equation and implementation; isentropic compression; mass and volume capacity. Supercritical gas behavior.
- Practical compression laws: discharge temperature, power of compression.
- Pressure-Enthalpy diagram for Ethylene: for primary compressors and hypercompressors.
- Main limitations: risks of condensation, overheating, decomposition, grease deposits.
- Case studies: ethylene compression from 1 to 3000 bar.
PRIMARY COMPRESSORS BEHAVIOR & OPERATION 1 day
- Indicator diagram for ideal and actual cases.
- Influence of process temperatures and pressures.
- Dead volume: impact on the intake of the machine.
- Capacity control: different methods.
- Power, efficiency.
- Behavior of multistage reciprocating compressors.
- Typical troubleshooting.
- Operation: start-up and shut-down difficulties.
- Cases studies: industrial ethylene compression, troubleshooting.
HYPERCOMPRESSORS BEHAVIOR & OPERATION 1 day
- Compression ratio limitation due to axial loads on the crankshaft.
- Interstage pressure control, risk of rods overbendings or plunger/seals breaks.
- Discharge temperature limitation due to decomposition and oligomer deposits.
- Lubrication operation and survey: crankshaft, oil seal and cooling. Criticity of the oil type.
- Machine safety - PROGNOST™ type monitoring: axial vibrations, rod drop, oil temperatures and pressures, process temperatures and pressures.
- Typical defaults, solutions and diagnosis.
- Cases studies: various cases of troubleshooting.
TECHNOLOGY OF PRIMARY COMPRESSORS 0.5 day
- Main components: frame, cylinders, piston, piston rings, piston rod, crankhead, crankshaft, distance pieces, valves, rod seals.
- Auxiliaries: pulsation dampeners, crankshaft, seals and cylinder lubrication systems, cooling systems, safety devices.
- Capacity control technology: main components (unloaders, clearance pockets).
- Application: various compressor parts demonstrations.
TECHNOLOGY OF HYPERCOMPRESSORS 0.5 day
- Main differences with classical reciprocating compressors.
- Hypercompressor description: valves, cylinders, seals.
- Construction and survey.
- Crankshaft lubrication.
- Rod seal lubrication.
- Oil seal and cooling.