3 days PL/EMGB
- This course is aimed at anyone wishing to gain a clear understanding of engineering activities and their execution by a contractor. This includes project engineers and engineering managers.
- This course provides an overview of the engineering studies of Oil & Gas projects, from conceptual design to detailed drawings.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- coordinate all engineering activities, deliverables, work sequence and interfaces,
- evaluate the main risks: schedule, vendors, interfaces, quality and how to mitigate them,
- control engineering execution: critical issues and controls/KPI to put in place,
- apply best practices, including management of changes, progress control, etc.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Half of the training is devoted to hands-on exercises on engineering discipline and management tasks.
- Quiz at the end of each section to test knowledge acquired.
- Interactive pedagogy: trainees are constantly led to think and learn by themselves.
GAINING A DEEP UNDERSTANDING OF ENGINEERING 0.5 day
- Organization and role of engineering in a project: parties involved, scope and sub-contracting.
ENGINEERING DISCIPLINE OVERVIEW 1.5 days
- Design basis and criteria.
- Engineering activities and deliverables.
- Input, output, content and constraints, sequence.
- In the various disciplines: process, equipment/mechanical, plant layout, health, safety & environment (HSE), civil engineering, material & corrosion, piping, plant model, instrumentation and control, electrical, field engineering.
KEYS TO A SUCCESSFUL ENGINEERING EXECUTION 1 day
- Understanding the schedule requirements: typical critical path of an Oil & Gas project, consequences for engineering, matching the procurement and construction schedule.
- Internal constraints of the engineering schedule: interfaces between disciplines, vendor input, best practices.
- Interface management: challenge and best practice.
- Implementation of changes: challenge and best practice.
- How to meet the main challenge of delivering on schedule?
- EPC execution model & the resulting key milestones for engineering + benchmarks.
- What to put in place to control a contractor?
- How to effectively monitor progress, factors that could impact progress, meaningful KPI, requirements for progress reports?