4 days MOT/COMOT-E
- Engineers and technical staff involved in the field of engines who wish to be in a position to make technical choices and components dimensioning.
- This course provides participants a deeper knowledge & competencies to design and use dimensioning criteria of reciprocating piston engines, particularly those for automotive applications.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- choose the architectures of a new engine at pre-project stage: cubic inch displacement, bore-stroke ratio, cylinder head and block structures, timing drive,
- select and use the adequate criteria to develop the cam laws,
- use the main rules applied to block and cylinder head design,
- choose materials for the main engine components and explain their selection.
- IC Engine Fundamentals.
Ways and means
- Many applicative examples of the real life, dimensioning exercises managed by learners, focused cases study.
Architecture options 0.5 day
- Specifications of a new engine.
- Determining the main dimensions: bore, stroke, cylinder spacing, depending on the specifications: MEP characteristics and piston mean velocity on engines of the same range.
- Global design process of mobile coupling system, crankcase-cylinders, cylinder head, timing.
Mobile parts dimensioning 1.5 days
- Kinematics and dynamics of the mobile parts.
- Choosing the conrod spacing. Conrod swept volume. Calculation of stresses in the links.
- Functions to be performed by the piston and the rings. Dimensioning of the pin and the bosses.
- Bushing dimensioning.
- Conrod: ring and bushing shrink fitting, resistance to fatigue and buckling, connecting rod screws dimensioning.
- Crankshaft: shape depending on the cylinders number, material, counterweight, stresses, crank pin pre-dimensioning method, dowels, crank web, lubrication system.
- Balancing and dimensioning of the balancing shafts for an inline-four engine.
Crankcase-cylinders & lower crankcase 0.5 day
- Crankcase-cylinders functions and stresses.
- Choosing the engine bottom material and architecture.
- Building the conrod chamber. Determining the crankcase height. Choosing water circulation.
- Oil circuits, oil returns, blow-by chimneys.
- Timing face, coupling face, side faces.
Cylinder head 0.75 day
- Cylinder head functions. General choices of cylinder head architecture. Material. Definition of bore spacing: setting the clamps, the injector, the valves, the timing control.
- Intake and exhaust pipes. Water core, oil core. Lubrication system. Processing constraints.
- Calculation of cylinder head pillar pre-dimensioning.
- Failure modes. Validation.
Timing 0.75 day
- Valve control and timing drive technologies.
- Valves, valve guide and seats, wedges, springs.
- Timing diagram, path section. Determining the lift law. Margin to valve hunting. Dimensioning criteria: stresses, Hertz pressure, wear, noise. Cam drive torque.
- Calculation exercise of a cam on tappet symmetric lift law. Calculation codes, modeling.
- Variable timing system.