2 days PSE/INCOL-E
- Engineers and supervisory staff in the refining, petrochemical and chemical industry, involved in the design, selection or operation of the internals in distillation columns or their equivalent.
- This course provides a thorough and practical understanding of the working principles and use of trays and packing installed in many columns for distillation, absorption, stripping, washing, etc.
- Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- know the different types of internals, their advantages and disadvantages,
- investigate the main criteria for choice according to their respective operating field,
- identify the basic features for design,
- master the operating range and troubleshooting of equipment.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Active participation of trainees using an equipment sizing software.
TECHNOLOGY & FUNCTIONING OF TRAYS 1 day
- Basics of mass transfer between liquid and vapor: importance of the interface area, viscosity and relative volatility.
- Definition of some working parameters: efficiency, capacity, flexibility, pressure drop, etc.
- Different types of trays: with or without downcomers.
- Different types of contacting systems for the active area: bubble caps, fixed or mobile valves.
- Hydraulic working and pressure drops.
- Troubles such as flooding, weeping, fouling, etc.
- Main parameters to take into account in the design of internals.
- Specific features for multi-pass trays.
- Equipment for transition zones as flash zone, changing of pass number, etc.
- Aim of high performance trays and working principles. Advantages and fields of use.
- New technology trays and implementation in the near future.
- Simulation of tray design; representation of trays in operation (video).
- Implementation of HP trays and feedback information.
TECHNOLOGY & FUNCTIONING OF PACKED BEDS 0.75 day
- Random packing, structured packing, grids.
- Technology of a packed bed in operation.
- Operating range and pressure drop.
- Recent evolution of packing.
- Liquid or vapor distributors, collectors and redistributors.
- Impact on the working and performance of packed beds.
- Representation of packing in operation (video); implementation of packing and evaluation of performances.
- Presentation of tests in the manufacturer's workshop.
COMPARISON & TROUBLESHOOTING OF BEDS & PACKINGS 0.25 day
- Advantages and disadvantages of trays and packed beds, costs.
- Respective technical performances: capacity, pressure drops, flexibility, implementation.
- Detection of disturbances in the field and data analysis.
- Potential solutions and efficiency.
- Gammametry: method and examples of diagrams.
- Revamping an existing column.
- Case study of disturbed equipment, diagnosis and remedy.