5 days PSE/DSS-E
- Engineers, process engineers, process control personnel and technical staff in the refining and petrochemicals industries.
- To provide a comprehensive understanding of efficient distillation columns operations.
- To implement optimization strategies.
- To learn about all parameters and profiles for the analysis of a distillation column operation.
- To master the concepts necessary to optimize the operation of a column.
- To identify the performances and limits of different control systems.
- To deepen knowledge of the detection and effects of deficiencies.
Ways and means
- Highly efficient learning process : operation of a virtual column using a dynamic simulatorthat models the main physical phenomena of distillation.
- Troubleshooting case studies to illustrate process control schemes.
OPERATING PARAMETERS: DEFINITION AND SIGNIFICANCE 0.5 day
- Material balance of the virtual column: cut point, separation quality and concept of fractionation capability.
- Column pressure: pressure control and pressure profile along the column.
- Heat balance. Reflux and reboiling ratio and selectivity assessment.
- Internal flow rates profiles, concentration and temperature profiles. Concentration peaks.
FRACTIONATION CAPABILITY OF AN INDUSTRIAL DISTILLATION COLUMN 0.5 day
- Impact of the parameters related to the fractionation capability:
- Liquid-vapor internal flow rates, associated with reflux and reboiling ratios
- Number of theoretical stages and internal equipment efficiency
- Position of feedstock inlet related to feed characteristics.
- Fractionation capability and related energy consumption.
- Each item is illustrated by practical exercises conducted by trainees on a dynamic simulator.
PROCESS CONTROL PARAMETERS 3 days
- The simulator handling scenario covers the different aspects of operation and control of columns. It starts with a simple control system and implements increasingly sophisticated control systems on increasingly complex columns, such as a depropanizer, a debutanizer and a multiple draw-off column (crude oil distillation).
- Survey of operating disturbances; origins and causes.
- Process control strategy and optimization targets.
- External or internal reflux control, reboiling control with flow rates or duty monitoring.
- Material balance control: sensitive tray, temperature control systems.
- Optimization of the heat balance: additional energy through the feed or the reboiler, low pressure operation and energy savings.
- Implementation of control systems based on quality measurement.
- Analysis of disturbances caused by the feed and systems for feed forward control.
- Implementation of process control in multi-column trains.
- Specific case of multiple draw-off columns: quality tuning through material balance (temperature, flow rate or level control); heat balance monitoring (role of pumparounds and vaporizing refluxes, optimization of the fractionation capability).
EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY AND TROUBLESHOOTING 1 day
- Trays: technology, workings; high efficiency trays, performance and flexibility.
- Packings and distribution systems: flooding, fouling, mechanical damage and remedies.
- Reboilers and condensers: implementation and working principles, various control strategies, problems and related origins, possible solutions.
- The items in this chapter are exemplified by case studies corresponding to actual industrial problems and related solutions.
2016 course calendar
2017 course calendar
|May 30 - Jun 03||Rueil||€3,190||Online||By email|
|Sep 12 - 16||Martigues||€2,910||Online||By email|
|Nov 20 - 24||Al Jubail||€3,500||Online||By email|
2017 course calendar
|May 29 - Jun 02||Rueil||€3,250||Online||By email|
|Sep 11 - 15||Martigues||€2,940||Online||By email|
|Dec 10 - 14||Al Jubail||€3,500||Online||By email|