5 days MOT/PMD2-E
- Engineers and technical staff working on performances tuning of road truck engines.
- To improve participants' knowledge in their job stream (performances development) and improve their knowledge on the related fields (pollution, fuels, lubricants, engine design, evolution of injection and supercharging technologies).
- To take in account the environmental situation that explains the regulations related to exhaust emissions.
- To better understand combustion and diesel injection physics, the efficiency and performances improvement parameters.
- To better know the fuel and lubricant specifications and impacts on the engine’s operation.
- To be able to size a turbocharger and to match it to an engine.
- To be able to choose a depollution strategy and to select an after-treatment system.
- To understand the operating principles and the strategies associated to the engine management.
- MOT/PMD1-E training.
Ways and means
- MOT/PMD1-E + MOT/PMD2-E give a full overview of the field of Diesel truck engines, through interactive talks and numerical exercises.
Atmospheric pollution and regulations 0.25 day
- Atmospheric pollution, main impacts on health, share of transports.
- Pollutants emitted by engines (regulated and non regulated). Regulations related to the vehicles exhaust emissions.
Efficiency and performances 0.25 day
- Global efficiency, combustion efficiency, thermo-dynamic efficiency, cycle type efficiency, mechanical efficiency.
- Thermal balance.
- Loading and volumetric efficiency.
Lubricant 0.5 day
- Engine oils SAE viscosity classification. Diesel engine oils EPI and ACEA classifications.
- Problems of the diesel and engine and the lubrication: lubricant behavior with the soot (dispersion); fuel sulfur content (TNB and ashes content); cylinder resurfacing; lubricant compatibility with after-treatment systems (DPF).
- Oil filtration. Follow-up of in-service lubricants.
Diesel fuel 0.5 day
- Production in refineries, manufacturing constraints in Europe and in the US.
- Characteristics related to the use on engine: cetane, cold engine operability, distillation, viscosity, sulfur content.
- Specifications: Fuel diesel in Europe, fuel Diesel in US, fuel for building machines, for boats.
Diesel combustion and injection 1.5 days
- Pollutants formation: HC, CO, NOx, particles, depending on temperature and the air-fuel ratio in the combustion chamber.
- Fuel jet formation and characterization in the chamber. Role of swirl.
- Influence of engine parameters on emissions, consumption, noise: load, injection advance, exhaust gas recirculation (internal, external, cooling), swirl, injection pressure. Examples of some test results interpretation.
- Diesel injection system operating: injectors-pumps, solenoid common-rail, piezo, with pressure amplification.
- Information about variable timing systems interest and technology.
After-treatment 0.5 day
- Oxidation catalysts. Diesel particulates filter (DPF).
- Selective reduction Catalyst (SCR) using urea. Other systems.
Supercharging 1.5 days
- Turbochargers operating principle: compression and expansion energies, geometric characteristics, flow adjustment, cooling.
- Compressor pressure-flow map and operating limits (pumping, speed, efficiency).
- Turbine characteristics, saturation.
- Technologies of the turbocharger different parts: materials, lubrication, reliability aspects.
- Twin-scroll, variable geometry, dual supercharging turbochargers.
- Matching a turbocharger to an engine: choice of the compressor and of the turbine depending on the engine characteristics and performances.
- Participants will carry out a practical exercise of turbocharger adaptation.