2 days MOT/PMD1-E
- Engineers and technical staff working in relation with engine departments and needing to know the vocabulary, the physics fundamentals and the main technologies of Diesel engines.
- This course provides a deeper knowledge on heavy duty truck engines performances, design and development: basic sizes, combustion, injection systems, supercharging, fuels and lubricants.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- know the definition and the use of parameters used in the engine design and development,
- master the physics that lead to pollutants formation (PM, NOx, HC, CO) and the physics of the technologies aimed at reducing the pollutants (injection, swirl, exhaust gas recirculation, advance),
- understand the technologies of the injection systems used,
- know turbochargers’ operating principles and the way to match them to an engine.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- The fundamentals of Diesel engines in a funny and easy way for a better and reliable understanding.
Efficiency & performances 0.5 day
- Power, torque, mean effective pressure, piston mean velocity: situation of heavy truck engines compared with the other spark ignition or Diesel engines.
- Volumetric efficiency, influence on performances.
- Engine efficiencies: global efficiency, combustion efficiency, thermo-dynamic efficiency, cycle type efficiency, organic efficiency. How tuning affects the different efficiencies. Specific consumption. Thermal balance.
Diesel combustion & injection 1 day
- Diesel combustion mechanism. Pollutants formation: PM, NOx, HC, CO. Representation on Pischinger diagram.
- Different combustion phases: auto-inflammation delay, pre-mixture combustion, diffusion flame combustion. Combustion-related noise. Fuel cetane number.
- Combustion system: swirl definition, measurement and generation; fuel-jet characteristics: introduction rate, penetration, atomization, external form; piston combustion chamber.
- Technology of the different injection systems: injectors-pumps, unit pumps, common-rail, Caterpillar system.
- Exhaust gas recirculation: how it acts on nitrogen oxides reduction, interest of EGR cooling, development technologies.
- New Diesel combustion processes (HCCI).
Fuels - Lubricants 0.25 day
- Fuel production in refineries. Diesel fuel main characteristics in relation with the use of engine: cetane, cold engine operability, distillation, lubrication capacity.
- Lubricant main required properties.
Supercharging 0.25 day
- Turbocharger operating principle.
- Choosing a turbocharger to match a given engine.
- Variable geometry turbocharger, twin scroll turbocharger.