5 days MOT/MDIES-E
- Engineers and technical staff of engine design, development or tuning departments, looking for a better understanding of Diesel road engines as well as industrial engines. For improved comprehension, applicants are advised to initially follow the Module 1.
- This course provides a deeper knowledge on Diesel operation, combustion, injection systems, after-treatment fuels and lubrication (car, heavy duty trucks, off-road).
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- understand Diesel engine operation: combustion process, pollutants origin and reduction,
- understand the engine-turbocharger adaptation criteria,
- size the turbocharger,
- know the associated products and their circuits: fuels and lubricants,
- select the right after-treatment system.
- Module 1 "MOT/MOT-1-E" training.
Ways and means
- One of our best-sellers.
- More heavy-duty vehicles oriented, comparing personal vehicle, trucks, off-road on real basis.
Diesel engines: combustion & operating 1 day
- Diesel combustion mechanisms: pollutants formation (particles, HC, CO, NOx), fuel jet required characteristics, air mixture, streamline in the combustion chamber (swirl and squish), combustion system optimization with regards to the performances/depollution trade-off. Interest of multiple injections (pilot injection, split injection, post-injection) as for noise and depollution.
- Combustion modes with improved air/fuel mixture: HPC (highly premixed combustion), HCCI (homogeneous charge compression ignition).
- Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR): how it reduces nitrogen oxide rate, trade-off with low and high load particles emissions, EGR cooling, high and low pressure EGR.
- Start and cold start: factors of smoke and noise when cold; start assistance with warp up at intake, glow and post-glow plug.
Combustion noise 0.25 day
- Noise origin, measurements, cracking noise, burst noise.
- Solutions to reduce noise.
Turbocharging 0.5 day
- Interest and limits of turbocharging on Diesel engine: temperature before turbine, cylinder pressure, thermo-mechanical stresses in the cylinder head.
- Technologies of the different parts: compressor, turbine, main bearings.
- Adaptation of the turbocharger to a given engine: choosing the turbocharger, compressor map limits (pumping, overspeed, sonic cutoff), choosing the turbine, free-floating, wastegate or variable geometry control, twin-scroll turbine; dual turbocharging.
Diesel engine fuels 0.5 day
- Diesel fuel main characteristics and specifications (density, cetane rating, viscosity, lubricating capacity, volatility, sulfur, …), and impact on the engine behavior, additives properties.
- Impact of the fuel composition on the regulated and non regulated pollutant emissions.
- Specifications: Diesel fuel compared with domestic fuel and with Jet A1, new Diesel fuels, methylic ester of vegetable oils (EMVH).
Injection systems technologies 0.75 day
- Description and operating of injection systems on cars and industrial heavy truck engines: low pressure circuits, pumps, ducts, injectors and nozzles.
- Managing the fuel injection laws with Common-rail systems, solenoid injector or piezo, injector pump, unit pumps, hydraulic assisted pumps.
- Design restrictions and precautions. Filtration. Evolutions.
Engine management system 0.5 day
- General presentation of the engine management system: components (sensors, actuators…) and software functions (mapping and strategies).
- Fuel management: rail pressure control and injected flow control.
- Air loop: EGR and turbocharger management.
- Software torque structure: drivers request, inter-systems operation, limits and thermo-mechanical protections.
- Inspection and warranty of engine operating: components electric diagnostic, strategies functional diagnostic.
Diesel engines lubrication 0.5 day
- SAE classification of viscosity and API and ACEA specifications of lubricants for Diesel engines.
- Lubricant role and functional properties related to the lubrication critical points.
- Chemical composition and composition requirements (premature ageing of after-treatment devices). Filtration.
Exhaust gas after-treatment 1 day
- Situation, history and general issues, regulations and approval cycles.
- Mechanisms of Diesel oxidation catalysis specific reactions: catalyst structure and operating principle (noble metals, performances criteria, functional definitions, efficiency, field, initiation, conversion rate, sulfur and particles oxidation).
- Nitrogen oxides conversion: decomposition, selective reduction catalyst (SCR) hydrocarbons and ammonia, Diesel sequential.
- Specific treatments: NOx traps, liquid/solid urea DeNOx, hydrocarbons SCR reduction.
- Particles treatment: particles structure, Diesel particle filters - DPF- (silicium carbide, ceramics, metallic), DPF regeneration (with additives or catalysis), consequences (consumption, ∆P, cost, …). Evolution towards 4-way catalysis (DPNR, others, …). Limiting Diesel catalyst ageing. Diesel On Board Diagnostics (OBD).