5 days RAF/DADSV-E
- Engineers, senior operation personnel and technical supervisors interested or involved in the operation, optimization and monitoring of crude oil atmospheric distillation and residue vacuum distillation units.
- This course provides a deeper understanding of the operating and monitoring of atmospheric and vacuum distillation units.
- Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- grasp fundamental process control and the impact of each controller on the process and on the characteristics of the cuts produced,
- analyze desalter operation and corrosion monitoring,
- detect potential deficiencies by troubleshooting.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Applications, teamwork, case studies and interactive workshops based on typical real situations.
- Possible use of a dynamic simulator for crude oil distillation unit operation issues.
Realizado en Español si requerido.Der Vortrag kann auch auf Deutsch gehalten werden.
IMPACT OF CRUDE OIL QUALITY ON PRODUCTS 0.5 day
- Tuning of the volatility of petroleum fractions in view of their end-use: constraints and flexibility of cut points; principal problems related to quality.
- Crude oils: properties (TBP analysis), product yields, related margins.
- Main schemes for crude oil fractionation.
OPERATING CONDITIONS OF AN ATMOSPHERIC & VACUUM DISTILLATION UNITS 2 days
- Material balance: cut points, product characteristics, separation quality, fractionation capability..
- Top condensation and pressure in the column - Partial pressures.
- Feed vaporization: inlet temperature, overflash.
- Product stripping: steam stripping and heat stripping.
- Heat balance of the column - Pumparounds and heat integration.
- Modern internals for crude oil distillation column.
DESALTING & CORROSION CONTROL 0.5 day
- Corrosion by sulfur, naphthenic acids and mineral salts.
- Crude oil desalting: purpose, functioning of the desalter, operating variables and troubleshooting.
- Downstream neutralizing treatment: purpose, advantages and drawbacks.
- Controlling corrosion at the head of topping column and anti-corrosion techniques.
SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS 0.5 day
- Process risks: H2S, inflammability, auto-inflammation.
- Risks related to main equipment: furnace, pumps, vacuum system.
- Heat recovery optimization and energy consumption.
- Efficient and low energy consumption vacuum equipment (steam ejector vs liquid ring pump).
PROCESS CONTROL, OPERATION & TROUBLESHOOTING OF MULTI-DRAW-OFF COLUMNS 1 day
- Different control systems in atmospheric and vacuum distillation columns, using flowrate, level or temperature control.
- Cut point control: modification of flowrate of a cut and consequences on the column.
- Impact of the preflash on the operation of the furnace and the atmospheric column.
- Separation control: tuning of the separation selectivity, consequences on the column and on the heat recovery system.
- Influence of pressure and pressure control.
- Case studies on overall control setup of these two distillation columns and disturbances.
- Maximizing the performances of the unit under constraints or limit conditions.
- Start-up - Shutdown - Troubleshooting.
DISTURBANCES & TROUBLESHOOTING 0.5 day
- Stripping shutdown.
- Failure of one pumparound pump.
- Loss of part of the feed, etc.