5 days MAT/CORGB
- Engineers and technicians working for the design, construction, operation, inspection or maintenance of Oil & Gas upstream production facilities.
- This course provides in-depth understanding of corrosion phenomena specific to Oil & Gas production facilities, and the main corrosion prevention techniques.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- list the main characteristics and types of corrosion of metallic materials used in the Oil & Gas industries,
- describe the means of protection against each type of corrosion,
- select the most appropriated material for a given Oil & Gas application,
- explain the available ways of monitoring the state of corrosion of a metallic equipment.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Highly interactive teaching by experienced lecturers.
- Several applications and illustrations.
DEFINITION & MECHANISMS OF CORROSION 1 day
- Ferrous and non-ferrous metals: structure, composition, mechanical properties, metallurgy.
- Definitions: wet corrosion, dry corrosion.
- Cost of corrosion: financial and human.
- Basics: electrochemical mechanisms, polarization, passivity, diffusion.
COMMON TYPES OF CORROSION 1 day
- Analysis of the origin and development process of each form of corrosion and possible methods of prevention.
- Forms of corrosion studied: uniform, galvanic, pitting, crevice, inter-granular, selective, corrosion-erosion and cavitation, stress corrosion, contact corrosion.
TYPES OF CORROSION ENCOUNTERED IN THE OIL & GAS INDUSTRY 1 day
- Each type of corrosion is studied together with possible remedial treatment:
- Corrosion by hydrogen sulfide.
- Corrosion by carbon dioxide.
- Corrosion due to oxygen in aqueous environment.
- Caustic soda corrosion.
- Corrosion in acid gas treatment units.
- Atmospheric corrosion or corrosion by sea water.
- Corrosion by mercury.
- Corrosion of reinforced concrete.
- Case studies of corrosion observed in Oil & Gas installations: identification of the types of corrosion and suggested remedial treatments.
CORROSION PREVENTION 1 day
- Design of equipment aimed at avoiding certain types of corrosion.
- Choice of the materials best suited to the environment.
- Corrosion inhibitors, filming, passivating, neutralizing, absorbing the oxygen.
- Anti-corrosion coatings and systems.
- Cathodic protection with sacrificial anodes or imposed current.
- Methodology and control of processes. Control of process and environmental parameters.
- Analysis of the means of prevention implemented in the units.
CORROSION MONITORING - FUNDAMENTALS OF INSPECTION 1 day
- Corrosion coupons and probes.
- Non-destructive testing of the state of walls.
- Corrosion monitoring plan.
- Fundamentals of inspection.