3 days RAF/COKER
- Engineers, panel operators, shift leaders and staff interested or involved in cokefaction.
- The technical content of this training course also makes it suitable for the staff of refineries, research centres, oil companies and engineering firms concerned by the different operation aspects of this process.
- This course provides a thorough understanding of the operating and monitoring of a coker.
- Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- grasp the relationship between the cracking process and the operation of a coker,
- analyze the importance and impact of operating parameters,
- avoid the most common incidents by applying corrective measures.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Applications, case studies based on typical industrial situations.
ROLE OF THE COKER COMPLEX IN THE REFINERY 0.5 day
- Heavy cuts in the refinery: origins, nature, characteristics and composition.
- Basic features of coker units compared to other conversion processes.
- Delayed coker and differences with other coking processes: flexicoker and fluidcoker.
CHEMICAL ASPECTS OF CRACKING 0.25 day
- Characteristics of primary and secondary cracking, reactions of different hydrocarbons.
- Parameters influencing the severity of cracking: temperature, residence time, pressure, feed quality, etc.
ANALYSIS OF INDUSTRIAL OPERATING CONDITIONS 1 day
- Process flow diagram and example of a delayed coker unit with operating conditions and control setup.
- Material balance, yields, recycle ratio, energy consumption.
- Impact of operating parameters on products and on coke production.
- Follow up of the heater and skin temperatures.
OPERATION OF THE DELAYED COKER DRUMS 1 day
- Successive steps of a cycle: filling of live drum, switch out and steam out, quench, draining, unheading, cutting and decoking, reheading and testing, preheating, switch in.
- Parameters having an impact on the duration of each step and time saving details.
- Monitoring of the block valves.
- Cutting equipment: technology and operation.
- Safety related issues.
PRODUCTS & RELATED TREATMENTS 0.75 day
- Fractionation operation and switch management.
- Gas plant and light ends separation.
- Naphtha and gasoil fractionation. Hydrotreatment, hydrogen management.
- Different types of coke, characteristics, handling and storage.
- Water handling, treatment and recycle.
INCIDENTS, TROUBLESHOOTING & SOLUTIONS 0.5 day
- Main incidents: foamover causes and consequences, longer cycles, coking phenomena outside the drums, misoperation of one block valve.
- Consequences and classic solutions for these incidents.