5 days PGP/CIVILENG
- Technical staff from engineering or contractor.
- This course provides an understanding of civil engineering (structures and foundations).
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- prepare and interpret civil work specifications in line with European regulations,
- perform basic calculations on steel and concrete structures,
- analyze civil subcontractor bids and select the most reliable and effective bidder,
- define field work quality control plan for civil works.
- Basic knowledge of equipment used in oil & gas industry. Basics in resistance of materials.
Ways and means
- Understanding technology and design with various applications & exercises.
- Review of civil works in existing refining & chemical facilities.
BASIC TECHNOLOGY INFORMATION & REGULATIONS 1 day
- Definition of terms and key characteristics of civil works. Design parameters.
- Scope and contents of European regulations (EUROCODES).
- Characteristics of materials used (steel, concrete). Concrete specifications and manufacture.
STEEL STRUCTURE DESIGN 1 day
- Main elements of a steel structure (beams, poles, reinforcements). Types of structures.
- Parameters impacting structure stability. Assembly types. Principles of determination of structure resistance to weight, equipment and weather conditions. Transmission of loads to the foundations.
- Typical guide specification sent to a civil work subcontractor. Evaluation of bid response quality.
CONCRETE STRUCTURE DESIGN 1 day
- Principle of resistance of concrete structures. Limit states calculation. Evaluation of concrete behavior for various efforts: compression, bending, shearing. Determination of reinforcements. Importance of steel adherence and covering.
- Typical design specification sent to a civil work subcontractor. Evaluation of bid response.
FOUNDATION DESIGN 1 day
- Surface foundations technology. Sizing. Anchoring. Foundation stability.
- Verification of required surface and applied pressure. Soil stability and resistance.
- Deep foundations, piles (type and depth). Connection between piles and above-ground foundations.
FIELD WORK CONTROLS 1 day
- Key control parameters for steel structures and concrete structures. Concrete manufacturing controls.