5 days PGP/CIVILENG
- Project engineers and managers, engineering contractor personnel.
- Provide an understanding of Civil Engineering (structures and foundations).
- Prepare and interpret civil work specifications in line with European regulations.
- Perform basic calculations on steel and concrete structures.
- Analyze civil subcontractor bids and select the most reliable and effective bidder.
- Define field work quality control plan for civil works.
Ways and means
- Individual exercises for a better understanding of technology and design.
- Review of actual civil works in existing refining & chemical facilities.
- Teamwork on case studies related to investment projects.
Basic technology information and regulations 1 day
- Definition of terms and key characteristics of civil works. Design parameters.
- Scope and contents of European regulations (EUROCODES).
- Characteristics of materials used (steel, concrete). Concrete specifications and manufacture.
Steel structure design 1 day
- Main elements of a steel structure (beams, poles, reinforcements). Types of structures.
- Parameters impacting structure stability. Assembly types.
- Principles of determination of structure resistance to weight, equipment and weather conditions.
- Transmission of loads to the foundations.
- Typical guide specification sent to a civil work subcontractor. Evaluation of bid response quality.
Concrete structure design 1 day
- Principle of resistance of concrete structures. Limit states calculation.
- Evaluation of concrete behavior for various efforts: compression, bending, shearing.
- Determination of reinforcements.
- Importance of steel adherence and covering.
- Typical design specification sent to a civil work subcontractor. Evaluation of bid response.
Foundation design 1 day
- Surface foundations technology. Sizing. Anchoring. Foundation stability.
- Verification of required surface and applied pressure. Soil stability and resistance.
- Deep foundations, piles (type and depth). Connection between piles and above-ground foundations.
Field work controls 1 day
- Key control parameters for steel structures and concrete structures.
- Concrete manufacturing controls.