3 days MCO/PCATH-E
- Supervisors, engineers and technical staff involved in cathodic protection, maintenance and inspection.
- To provide a better understanding of cathodic protection fundamentals, design procedures and monitoring.
- To contribute to the design of cathodic protection systems.
- To supervise the monitoring carried out by a subcontractor.
Ways and means
- Active teaching methods are used to promote a pooling of experience.
- Case studies with cathodic protection experts.
Principles and applications 0.75 day
- Wet corrosion mechanisms and prevention.
- Principles of cathodic protection.
- Sacrificial anode and impressed current cathodic protection.
- Application: steels and alloys in aerated water, observation of potentials, electrical current and polarization.
Coating and cathodic protection 0.5 day
- Stray current and electrical bounding.
- Cathodic protection as a supplement for coating systems.
- Devices for electrical isolation of the system.
- Risk of disbonding.
Design 0.5 day
- Factors that influence the selection of cathodic protection systems.
- Electric current intensity and flow.
- Anodic resistance and soil resistivity.
- Application: calculation of anode mass and anode distribution.
Performance monitoring 1.25 days
- Field potential measurement.
- Monitoring in sea water and in soil.
- Interpretation of subcontractor monitoring records.
- Sources of stray-currents.
- Norms and standards (EN 15257).
- Application: potential measurements at a drainage point on a pipeline, study of monitoring records.