80 days PCH/PPM
- Engineers interested in a foundation training on polymers.
- * This program is the second part of a 16-month Master degree program at IFP school. It is highly recommended that participants be familiar with topics covered in the course "Applied Chemical Engineering for the Refining and Petrochemical Industries" (refer to GCA/ACE).
- To provide a comprehensive understanding of and practical expertise in monomer manufacturing, polymerization processes, market and products, storage and transport of products, with attention to environmental, safety, quality and economic issues.
- To participate in studies involving the design, sizing and economics of processes used in the refining, petrochemicals, polymers and plastics sectors.
- To acquire the know-how for a position in production.
- To acquire a thorough knowledge of industrial incidents and related safety and environmental issues.
- To grasp the essence of the collaboration between R&D and Production departments.
- To analyze the quality of manufactured products.
- To understand the relations between suppliers and manufacturers in the plastic's chain.
Ways and means
- Case studies based on industrial situations.
- Visits to industrial sites.
Locations: Rueil-Malmaison (Paris) Ferrara (Italy) Alençon (France)
BASE CHEMICALS AND MONOMERS MANUFACTURING 6 days
- First and second generation monomers.
- Interaction between refining and petrochemical.
- Technical visit of an industrial plant (if possible).
POLYMER CHEMISTRY AND POLYMERIZATION REACTION ENGINEERING 4 days
- Fundamentals of radical, ionic, catalytic, …, polymerization.
- Polymer reaction engineering.
ENGINEERING IN PETROCHEMICAL PROCESSES 13 days
- Description of the main steps of a polymer project and methodology for organizing the sustainably safe and clean operation of petrochemical plants (HAZOP studies).
- Corrosion and materials.
- A PFD/PID project is organized with the support of an engineering company.
COMMODITY PLASTICS 15 days
- Chain value and manufacturing processes: polymerization reactions, unit description, main operating parameters, technical evolution of processes, troubleshooting, main producers, market trends, economics.
- A period of one week in Italy is organized with lectures, case studies and plant visits: development of a product (PP) and associated process, main characteristics of PP, industrial manufacturing process, main relations between the operating parameters and final characteristics of the product.
MAIN ENGINEERING AND HIGH PERFORMANCE PLASTICS 5 days
- Specificities, advantages and drawbacks of standard polymers compared to engineering & high performance plastics.
- Discuss the inter-polymer competition.
RISK MANAGEMENT 6 days
- Methodology for organizing a sustainably safe and clean operation of a petrochemical plant.
- Reaction run-away and run-away prevention, powder explosions. How to handle toxic chemicals.
- Life cycle analysis of products.
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT IN PETROCHEMICALS 7 days
- Energy efficiency of the processes.
- Bio polymers and polymers environment.
- Regulatory affairs and chemical health effects.
OVERVIEW OF POLYMER PROCESSING(1) 9 days
- Structure of polymer processing industry.
- Various processing technologies.
- Optimum technico-economical selection of material during final product development.
- Resin specifications, process control and quality control.
- (1) 5 days are spent at the “Institut Supérieur de la Plasturgie”, in Alençon - France (ISPA).
ELECTIVE COURSES: PETROCHEMICAL ECONOMICS OR PRODUCTION SUPPLY CHAIN 15 days
- Petrochemical economics:
- General economics, competitor analysis, benchmarking.
- A project deals with the conceptual study of a new petrochemical plant project.
- Production supply chain
- Logistics and transportation.
- A project deals with the design of a finishing section of a polyolefin plant.