3 days MOT/TRANSM-E
- Engineers and technical staff working in the field of IC engines and wishing to know the role of automotive transmissions and their impact on powertrain operation.
- This course provides a better understanding of drivetrains to deal with engine/vehicle adaptation topics, the restrictions found on both engine/drivetrain units and the topics on the powertrain development.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- know the main types of transmission,
- understand powertrain matching,
- describe and manage interactions between engine and transmission,
- carry out an engine project with the perspective of developing a whole powertrain.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Interactive talks by industry experts.
- Acquired Knowledge game tests.
- Gear ratio selecting exercises.
- Automatic transmission laws selecting exercise.
Automotive transmissions types 0.25 day
- Elements making up a power transmission chain: clutch, gearbox, longitudinal axle, powered axle, driveshaft.
- Stepped gear or continuously variable transmissions, gearing with or without breaking torque, manual or electronically driven operation.
Axles & differentials 0.25 day
- Differentials: description, operation principle, limits and technical solutions.
- Axles: different types (conical, hypoidal, wheel and screw): respective advantages and drawbacks.
- Lubrication: lubricants requirements depending on the types.
Mechanical gearboxes architectures 0.5 day
- Mechanical gearbox, 2,3, or 4-shaft architectures, volume and powertrain assembly restrictions.
- Automated, consumption-optimized, or sport mechanical gearboxes.
- Dual clutch gearbox, architecture and operating.
Clutch & torque transmission 0.25 day
- Conventional mechanical clutch, double mass flywheel, automatic clutches.
- Operating and dimensioning: structuring parameters, impact on engine.
- Failures, wearing parameters.
Automatic transmission architecture 0.5 day
- Hydraulic automatic gearbox, architecture, volume and powertrain assembly restrictions, related controls.
- Continuous variation transmission (CVT), architecture and operating. Non automotive applications, Infinitely variable transmission (IVT), hydrostatic transmission.
Electronic powertrain tuning 0.25 day
- Automated mechanical transmission, dual clutch transmission, hydraulic automatic gearbox: control laws and tuning general rules.
- Electronic architectures, ECU, logic controller, development parameters.
Matching & installation 0.5 day
- Installation, volume and thermal restrictions. Impact on vehicles architectures.
- Gearing command: manual, assisted, automated, mechanical, semi-mechanical or electronically controlled.
- Vehicle adaptation principles, optimization criteria: performances, emissions, consumption, NVH (noise, vibrations and harshness).
- Taking additional restrictions into account.
Industrial vehicles transmissions 0.5 day
- Mechanical transmissions: main differences with passenger cars (relay boxes, vehicle retarders, …). Lubrication requirements. Manufacturers’ specificities.
- Automated transmission: application specificities compared with passenger car.
- Case of agricultural machines or works machines.