80 days GCA/ACE
- Engineers interested in applied chemical engineering relating to oil and gas products, refining processes and polymers.
- To provide a comprehensive understanding of the refining and petrochemistry chain involved and the equipment used in the refining and petrochemicals industry.
- To understand the structure of the refining and petrochemical industries, main characteristics of the different processes (objectives, operating conditions, quality requirements, safety); and the proper function of each unit within a coherent general production scheme.
- To grasp the fundamentals of chemical engineering, design equipment for separation, heat transfer and exchange as well as build process control schemes for industrial units and establish process flow diagrams and piping and instrumentation diagrams.
- To master the fundamentals of polymer chemistry, describe the main characterization methods and structure/properties relationships for polymeric materials.
- To identify the cost structure and acquire the basic elements for investment decisions and capital budgeting in the refining and petrochemical industries.
Ways and means
- Applications using process dynamic simulators (RSI IndissPlus simulator)
- Applications using static simulation software (PRO II).
This training course is part of a 16-month Master degree program at IFP School. Two training sessions (5 days + 8 days) are organized between September and December in IFP Training centers.
Chemical engineering fundamentals 12 days
- Thermodynamics applied to liquid-vapor equilibria.
- Hydrocarbon physico-chemistry.
- Fluid dynamics.
- Heat transfer.
- Thermodynamics. Kinetics. Catalysis and chemical reactions.
- Industrial reactor design.
Petroleum products and refining processes 20 days
- Crude oil and petroleum products.
- Distillation (theory and dynamic simulation).
- Introduction to Provision simulation software (PROII) usage and application in a distillation project.
- Refining processes, process flow sheets and visit of a refinery.
Industrial equipment and instruments 17 days
- Materials and corrosion.
- Static equipment.
- Rotating machinery.
- Heat exchangers, furnaces and boilers.
- Instrumentation. Process control.
- Introduction to HTRI software usage and application in a heat-exchanger project.
Monomers and polymers manufacturing 17 days
- Olefins and aromatics in petrochemistry.
- Polymer structure, conformation and characterization.
- Introduction to industrial polymer processes.
- Logistics and transportation of liquids and powders.
- Description of the main steps of a polymer project and methodology for organizing the sustainably safe and clean operation of petrochemical plants (HAZOP studies).
- Visits to a polymer research center, steamcracker, polymer units and transformers.
Economics 4 days
- Capital budgeting. Price and cost management.
- Economics of supply and refining operations.
Case studies 10 days
- Two projects based on conception, design and cost estimation of an industrial distillation column (with PROII) and different heat exchangers (with HTRI).
- These studies are carried out by trainees with instructor guidance.
2016 course calendar
|Sep 05 - Dec 23||Rueil||€18,200||Online||By email|