10 days GCA/PEA
- Engineers and technicians whose activities are related to the operation of industrial sites: production, maintenance, plant projects, process control, laboratory, etc.
- Young engineers at the start of their career in refining, petrochemistry, heavy chemistry, engineering.
- To provide more in-depth knowledge on the operation and operating conditions of the material and processes in refining, petrochemical and heavy chemistry sites.
- To provide a strong foundation in the use of process simulation software.
- To describe the main properties of fluids and phenomena in process engineering.
- To understand the operating conditions of equipment used in the process and to explain the reasons forcontrols implemented.
- It is recommended that participants have notions of thermodynamics (the basics learnt during engineering studies are sufficient).
Ways and means
- Specific and original documentation covering different topics from an applied angle.
- Numerous applications and case studies related to industrial situations.
- Data, diagrams, graphs, various correlations presented in one single ring binder for easy reference after the course.
Module 1: Fluid flow and rotating equipment 3 days
- Fluid flow
- Characteristics of the single-phase liquid and gaseous flows.
- Flow rate measurement with measuring devices.
- Determining pressure drops in sites, influence of the valves.
- Characteristic curve of a circuit, examples of typical circuits.
- Liquid-gas two-phase flow map.
- Pumping and compression
- Functions and elements of the main rotating equipment.
- Operation of the centrifugal pumps and characteristic curves.
- Connections pump-circuit. Adjustment to the operating conditions: changes in the flow rate, the product, temperature, cavitation.
- Gas behavior during compression.
- Operation of reciprocating and centrifugal compressors.
- Adjustment to the operating conditions: change in the efficiency, operating limits.
Module 2: Heat and energy transfer 3 days
- Heat transmission
- Reminders on thermodynamics in heat transfer.
- Conduction and convection: parameters that affect the exchange, means of calculation.
- Radiation: emission, absorption, application to furnaces and boilers, tube skin temperature.
- Exchangers - Furnaces and boilers
- Function, classification and terminology of heat exchangers.
- Performances of the exchangers depending on the fluid circulation mode, evolutions depending on changes in the operating conditions.
- Design principle of the exchangers.
- Combustion and efficiency of energy recovery in furnaces and boilers. Heat exchanges in the radiation section. Circulation of air and stack fumes.
Module 3: Distillation and preliminary design 4 days
- Thermodynamics in liquid-vapor equilibria
- Material and energy balances in continuous processes.
- Fluid properties, law of corresponding states, equations of state.
- Liquid-vapor equilibria. Calculation principle.
- Thermodynamic models applicable to hydrocarbon mixtures.
- Non ideal mixtures, water-hydrocarbon mixtures.
- Operating parameters of industrial distillation columns: material balance, pressure, operation of the liquid-vapor contact material, heat balance, implementation of reboilers and condensers, liquid-vapor traffics, temperature and composition profiles.
- Distillation column control: basic control, sensitive tray, control of calculated variables, advanced control.
- Preliminary project
- An application related to the study of an industrial site allows the implementation of the knowledge acquired corresponding to the different disciplines of chemical engineering presented over the three training weeks.
2016 course calendar
|Apr 05 - 07||Rueil||€1,630||Online||By email|
|May 18 - 20||Rueil||€1,630||Online||By email|
|Jun 21 - 24||Rueil||€2,040||Online||By email|
|Apr 05 - 07 &
May 18 - 20 &
Jun 21 - 24
|Aug 22 - Sep 02||Rueil||€5,180||Online||By email|