5 days MAT/INST2GB
- Engineers and technicians involved in designing, setting-up and commissioning instrumented systems or operating oil and gas surface production facilities.
- This course provides a comprehensive and practical knowledge of process control and safety systems, necessary for designing and implementing instrumented systems.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- understand and analyze field instruments design,
- implement Safety Integrated Levels (SIL) on instruments loops,
- anticipate the impact of PID controllers parameters and structures on process control,
- analyze main control structures and perform basic tuning of controllers,
- learn about ICSS equipment architecture,
- understand man - machine interface functionalities,
- comprehend ICSS design and oversight of implementation projects.
- Experienced specialist in instrumentation.
- 10 years of experience in the concerned field.
Ways and means
- Practical training with real-life case studies.
- Use of dynamic simulations.
PROCESS INSTRUMENTATION 1.25 days
- Field instrumentation refresher: 4-20 mA standard and HART instruments, digital instruments
- Instruments scales and calibration methods
- Introduction to control valves calculation
- Calibrated orifice calculation according to ISO 5167 standard, approach for measurement error calculation
- Flow-rate calculation corrected for pressure and temperature
- Instrument cables and junction boxes definition
- Introduction to on-site industrial analyzers
PROCESS CONTROL 1 day
- Oil & gas surface processes identification
- PID controllers study: series, parallel and mix structures. Impact of controller parameters on process control. Controllers tuning
- Study and adjustment of control loops: simple closed loop, cascade, split-range, ratio
- Applications on dynamic simulator: case of a well/separator process section
SAFETY INSTRUMENTED SYSTEMS (SIS) 1 day
- Refresher on safety instrumented systems (SIS): PSS, ESD, HIPPS, EDP
- Impact on HAZID and HAZOP studies on design
- Definition and implementation of Safety Integrated Levels (SIL) on instruments loops: oil and gas companies approach to IEC 61508 and 61511 standards. Application exercises
- Applications on dynamic simulator: implementation of PSS and ESD systems. Case of a well/separator process section
AUTOMATION (DCS/PLC) 1.75 days
- Distributed control system (DCS) architecture
- Equipment architecture: controller, input/output cards, software architecture
- Man – machine interface: views management (mimics, alarms, historian, trends), plant control strategy (overview, tree structure) and functionalities of the various types of views
- Alarm management: alarm types, hierarchy, processing
- DCS simulator: man – machine interface analysis. Case study
- DCS and PLC implementation projects
- Approach to quantification and allocation of system input/output
- Notion of system life cycle and integrity (IEC 61508)/implementation of SIL
- Study of a DCS or PLC implementation project: engineering documents (functional analysis) and project phases:
- Factory Acceptance Test (FAT), Site Acceptance Test (SAT) and commissioning